Our friend Wikipedia defines Personal Development as,
“Personal development covers activities that improve awareness and identity, develop talents and potential, build human capital and facilitate employability, enhance the quality of life and contribute to the realization of dreams and aspirations.”
In short personal development means to improve oneself. It means to become a better human being and be capable enough to reach your goals.
Personal development is subjective in nature. In other words, personal development, as a concept, varies or differs from person to person. Thus it is important not to compare one’s level of personal development with someone else’s.
Personal development helps in understanding your own self. You get to know who you are, what your dreams are and what you should do to fulfil them. As I said before, don’t depend on someone else’s path of personal development for your own personal development. Your dreams might be different from that person and thus even after following his path, you won’t get happiness. Try to create your own path, have your own journey and that’s when you will fulfil your dreams and indirectly grow as a person (in short this is personal development).
There are many benefits of personal development. It helps in self-awareness. It makes you a stronger person. It improves your focus. And ultimately it motivates you.
Here are some simple habits that can help you in personal development –
Before you read these, let me ask you a simple question,
“Did you achieve your 2017 New Year’s resolutions?”
Take a minute, think what your 2017 New Year’s resolutions were and then answer – Yes OR No….
If your answer is YES, then congrats my friend, you are already on the path of personal development.
If your answer is NO, then you need to work on personal development.
See the logic behind this question is simple. Whatever resolutions we make for the New Year are somewhere for our development as a person.
‘I’ll join a gym and will lose weight.’
‘I’ll control my anger’.
Whenever we make these or any kind of resolutions, we keep in mind our bad habits and thus, in a way, try to remove them.
If we achieve our New Year resolutions, then in a way, we have removed one bad habit of ours. Which means we have taken a step forward on the path of personal development.
Whether your answer was Yes or No, have a look at these simple habits as they would prove beneficial for you in either of the cases.
1) Eat Healthy – A very basic habit for achieving personal development. Unless you eat well, you won’t be able to focus. Thus eat healthy food. Try to eat five to six meals a day. They prove to be beneficial for your body. Incorporate leafy vegetables, fruits, dry fruits etc. in your diet. In short, eat a balanced diet.
2) Set your goals – We can’t start a journey without knowing the destination. Therefore set a goal. You can set weekly goals, monthly goals or yearly goals according to your lifestyle. Then make a plan of things/activities you need to do for reaching your goals. Follow the plan as much as you can.
3) Accept your mistakes – It is obvious that while working on your goal plan, you will make mistakes. But don’t get disheartened. As this will only distance you from your goals. Learn from your mistakes.
“Success is falling nine times and getting up ten.”
– Jon Bon Jovi
A simple yet a meaningful line.
Also don’t be afraid to make mistakes, because unless you make mistakes you won’t learn. Thus embrace your mistakes in a similar manner you embrace your success.
4) Have a positive approach to life – The first step is to distance yourself from negative people. The more positive you will be, the more success you will have. Positivity results in a focused mind and thus helps in reaching the targets.
5) Time Management – Managing time is quite important for personal development. Try to build a schedule and follow it as much as possible. This would ensure that you remain focused.
6) Yoga and exercise – Both yoga and exercise are necessary for personal development. Yoga keeps you calm. Exercise is important not only if you want to lose weight but also for keeping yourself healthy.
7) Have a hobby – This is probably the easiest advice but most difficult to follow. Simply because as we grow up in life, we somehow forget about our hobbies. A simple sketching which used to give you pleasure some years ago is not at all prominent today.
What was your hobby when you were a child or let’s say a student?
Write them down on a paper. Try to revive them.
If you already have a hobby then make sure to take out some time, maybe on weekends, to practice it.
You will definitely see a difference in yourself. Hobbies always make you feel better.
8) Stop worrying – Worries weaken you as a person. They work in opposite direction of personal development. If you have any worries, try to discuss them with
your friends, parents, other family members, teachers etc. There is a possibility that you will be relieved of your tensions after discussing your worries with any of the above-mentioned people.
9) Help others – This actually works. See, a teacher, besides knowing that it’s her job feels happy when her student scores well. Why? Simply because due to her someone else has achieved success in life. Help someone, in the smallest way possible and you would notice a growth (a feeling of success). This feeling of accomplishment or success helps in personal development.
10) Learn something new – Learning new things sharpen our mind. It makes us a creative person. Thus try to learn something new in your free time. Whenever you take a break, try to acquire a new skill. Simple examples include –
It really depends on your choices and preferences but one thing is sure, learning something new helps in personal development.
Thus there are many ways and habits which help in personal development. All you need is to start practising them. Incorporate these habits in your daily routine and you will find a difference in your persona. It always feels good to become a better version of yourself, right?
About the author-
Sakshi Bhatia is a freelancer who loves to read and write simple life related articles. She is also a food lover and a passionate home baker. You can find her cooking experiences, recipes and tips on her blog Delighted Baking. Feel free to follow her on Facebook or Pinterest:
Ready to take control of your life and feel FREE?
This is for you if you:
Are feeling your life is out of your control
Feel trapped by anxiety and fears
Want support with gaining freedom back
WANT TO CHANGE YOUR LIFE NOW
Are you ready to learn how to take back control of YOUR life?
I'll be in touch when the Mindset Mastery is open for you to join so you can start working towards the life of freedom that you deserve!